Our Asian Sesame Chicken Salad takes us back to our childhood, when our mom would make it. We wanted a new version that omitted the sugar and soy sauce but still mimicked the yummy flavors we grew up loving.
After many attempts, we got it. We love when food takes us back to happy memories. Our Asian Sesame Chicken Salad is one of our signature recipes that we are known for. We’ve taken this salad to many luncheons and dinners and always get asked for the recipe. It was also featured in The Whole30 Cookbook that was just released. No one will even know that it’s healthy, that’s the best part.
You will substitute coconut aminos in place of soy sauce. Coconut aminos is made from organic coconut tree sap and has 65% less sodium than regular soy sauce. It’s soy free, GMO free, and gluten free. It’s one of those health changes we’re so glad we made.
You can find coconut aminos at most grocery stores, it’s amazing how people are demanding clean products and regular stores are starting to stock these types of items.
We also use dates in place of the sugar in this Asian Sesame Chicken Salad. We’re big fans of using natural sugar whenever we can substitute it in a recipe.
To make things easy just use pulled roasted chicken from the store, or make it ourselves. Lets be honest, we don’t always have time to make our own roasted chicken, so it’s nice to have options when possible.
We know your family will love it as much as we do and are so excited to share this recipe with you!
We were so honored they asked us to be included in the new Whole 30 Cookbook. Here is the picture they used in the cookbook, courtesy of Brent Herrig, he did a great job highlighting this amazing salad!
Asian Sesame Chicken Salad
Asian Sesame Chicken Salad ingredients:
- 4 cups napa cabbage, shredded
- 4 cups green cabbage, shredded
- 1 cup red cabbage, shredded
- 1 1/2 cups snow peas, trimmed
- 1 cup carrots, shredded
- 1/2 cup cilantro, chopped
- 3 green onions, sliced
- 2 cups cooked chicken, shredded
- 1/2 sliced almonds
- 2 tablespoons black sesame seeds
- 2 tablespoons sesame seeds
Asian Sesame Chicken Dressing ingredients:
- 1/4 cup coconut amino
- 1 tablespoon garlic, minced
- 1 tablespoon ginger, minced
- 2 tablespoon toasted sesame oil
- 2 tablespoon light olive oil
- 2 dates, mashed (see notes)
- 1/4 teaspoon ground red pepper
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- Combine all the salad ingredients into a large bowl.
- Mix dressing ingredients until well incorporated.
- Pour over salad ingredients.
- If you like a lightly dressed salad, don’t add all the of the dressing to your salad.
- Serve immediately.
As a side note we soak our dates in warm water for a couple minutes. Then we mash them with a fork before adding them to the dressing.