Breakfast Hash is a dish we love to make in large batches for our family to reheat all week. One thing we love is how filling it is, if you’re like us and have teenagers then they will love it. The savory sausage has just the right amount of heat too. Along with the kale and red peppers that adds such a brightness to the overall dish. Breakfast Hash is a one pan wonder that can be prepared using a large cast iron pan. Let’s admit the fewer dishes we have to do the better!
Start out by preheating your cast iron pan, really any large sauté pan will work. Next add ground pork, make sure you don’t confuse this for another sausage that has added ingredients. The only ingredient you should see on the package is pork. You will add your own spices, most likely with ingredients you have in your pantry. This Breakfast Hash has the right amount of heat from the red pepper flakes that you will love.
Once again don’t premix the ingredients, we’re all about ease in the kitchen. Simple place the spices on top of your meat and then mix it all up with your spatula. It will all incorporate just fine. Making sure to get a good caramelization will evoke a ton of flavor to this dish.
Now once everything is cooked to this point, simple push the contents to one side of the pan to cook your potatoes. This is a great was to use your left over baked potatoes! Our grandma was famous for taking her left over potatoes and using them for breakfast. NEVER waste anything was her motto, this is how we learned to use what we have to create a new meal. It’s a skill everyone should try and develop!
- 1 1/2 pounds ground pork
- 2 tablespoons avocado oil, divided
- 1/2 tablespoon sage
- 1/2 teaspoon marjoram
- 1/8 teaspoon crushed red pepper
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- pinch of ground cloves
- 1 red pepper, diced
- 1/2 purple onion, diced
- 1 potato, pre cooked and diced
- 2 cups kale, chopped
- Place ground pork in a preheated cast iron skillet. Add a tablespoon of avocado oil.
- Add the spices on top of the raw ground pork.
- Simply mix all the ingredients using your spatula and cook until the pork is no longer pink.
- Next add the red peppers and purple onion.
- Now simple push all the contents to one side of the pan to cook your potatoes. This is a great way to not dirty another dish yet get the potatoes nice and crispy.
- Sauté with 1 tablespoon of avocado oil until the whole dish starts to caramelize.
- The last few minutes add chopped kale.
One of our favorite things to do is to take the Breakfast Hash and place a sunny side egg on top. The perfect cooked egg where the yolk just spreads over the whole dish when broken into is a winner.
The great thing about this recipe is you can switch out ingredients you have on hand like sweet potatoes, zucchini, brussel sprouts. Really just about any vegetable that you like or is starting to go bad in your fridge!