Sweet and Savory BBQ Sauce is a delicious sauce we created the first year we started creating recipes. We wanted a recipe that omitted the brown sugar we usually used in our homemade barbecue sauce. It was fun experimenting with different flavor combinations. Adding pear sauce or apple sauce is what made all the difference in creating a sweet flavor without the added sugar.
One key is to use simple ingredients to make an amazing profile of flavors. We begin by sautéing shallots until they are translucent. This step is important in bringing out the caramelization in the sauce. Once the shallots become opaque, you know you’ve cooked them long enough. If you’ve never cooked with shallots before they taste somewhat like a common onion, but have a milder flavor. Try cooking with shallots, you’ll love them!!
Another cooking tip is to cook the spices in the pan to release the flavors a bit. This is a VERY important step in creating a cohesive sauce with depth of flavors. Once you can smell the magical aroma of the frying spices they are probably finished cooking. Make sure to stir them continually during this process to avoid burning the spices. You will love this method in your everyday cooking.
Now stir in tomato paste, organic balsamic vinegar, apple sauce, organic chicken stock, dijon mustard and salt. Then turn down the stove to a simmer and let cook down 30 minutes, stirring often. We like our BBQ sauce thick, but you may add more organic chicken stock for a runnier sauce.
Our family raves everytime we start up the grill and put this Sweet and Savory BBQ sauce over wings. You can bet we will be having this at our gathering this weekend!
Sweet and Savory BBQ Sauce
- 6 oz. tomato paste
- 1/4 cup organic balsamic vinegar
- 1 cup apple sauce or pear sauce
- 1 cup organic chicken stock
- 1/2 tsp smoked paprika
- 1 tsp cumin, ground
- 1/4 tsp cayenne pepper
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp dijon mustard
- 2 shallots, minced
- 1 tbsp garlic, minced
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- Place 1 tbsp olive oil in a skillet, add shallots and cook on med heat until translucent.
- Add garlic, cook one additional minute.
- Add smoked paprika, cumin, and cayenne pepper. Cook the spices for 3 minutes to release their flavors.
- Stir in tomato paste, organic balsamic vinegar, apple sauce, organic chicken stock, dijon mustard and salt.
- Turn stove down to a simmer and let cook down 30 minutes, stirring often. We like our BBQ sauce thick, but you may add more organic chicken stock for a runnier sauce.
- Barbecue the chicken drumlettes, follow by basting with Sweet n' Savory Barbecue Sauce.